Tuesday, December 4, 2007

In My Library of Fears





Shelves stretch forever
in my library of fears
Rows of organized visions
Held in the bookends of my ears
Haunting thoughts of make-believe
Infectious plays spawned to deceive
A teetering ride
On the black edge of reality

I float naked in twilight
through a mock desertscape
above a stainless steel highway
Silently racing, unable to escape
Ahead the roadway is twisted razor teeth
I awaiting it's painful shredding of my feet
To awaken sweat soaked
Sticking fly-paper tight to the sheets

A Wizard of Oz tornado
Spinning in sickening slow motion
Eats up the ground as it rumbles my way
While I scramble to avoid the destruction
From my ditch shelter I watch bodies rain
The impact craters blossom in crimson stain
As the flattened figures
Stare skyward in lost expressions of pain

Intense light cuts the darkness
As a figure steps through a small door
and the vast length and height of the hangar
Is revealed from ceiling to floor
The figure yells, "Catch!" as it tosses a pin
Which grows larger with each approaching spin
Until it knocks me down
In mind-blowing special FX slow motion

In the darkening fog
Between huge southern oaks
The Spanish Moss hangs down
Unmoving, at the buckboard's approach
I ride, chased from mansion to mansion,
from room to room, filled with apprehension,
A damp, gray, dead-man's shroud
Suddenly engulfs me; a frightening vision

Shelves filled with bad dreams
In my library of fears
Cataloged rows of visions
Held prisoner between my own ears
Haunting thoughts of spirits and infinity
With a roller-coaster drop through fantasy
The constant teetering ride
On the thin black edge of my reality

R. C. Arquette
4/17/86

No comments: