Saturday, January 12, 2008

Heat Lightning




Spanish moss
hanging still
in the branches
of the big Oak trees…

overhead
a big full Moon
keeps peeking
from between
long dark drifting clouds…

no breeze
to rattle the palmettos…
no breeze
to stir the thick warm air…
no breeze
to push the cotton drapes…
no damn breeze at all…

woke up
from a restless sleep
all wet and sticking
to Egyptian cotton sheets…
elbows on the windowsill
staring through heavy eyes
into the dark of night…

in the distant sky
a spidery dance illuminates
the clouds in white and gray…
flashes with no thunder
no sound to get in the way…
shooting out
through humid air
to remind you summer’s here…

as if we needed reminding…
the sweat does that very well…
noting in frustration
there is no breeze
to rattle the palmettos…
no breeze
to stir the thick warm air…
no breeze
to push the cotton drapes…
no damn breeze at all…

so I watch the show
remaining hopeful
while dozing in a chair…
waiting by the open window
for a breath…
a movement…
of some cool inviting air…

while all I seem to get
is more
heat lightning…

R.C. Arquette
7/29/06

4 comments:

Dan said...

Rcat, that's an awesome picture..and the words are equal, painting such a vivid image.

RCat said...

Thanks Dan..I wish I could remember where I found that photo..a site about lightning I believe..I came across it after I'd already written the poem and it seemed a perfect illustration for it. Thanks for the words - RCat

Anonymous said...

Rusty, didn't realize your talent with words 30 years ago. I'm thoroughly impressed.Thought this would be an interesting way to contact you. Do you remember writing the immortal words "Fran to the office, Fran to the office!" Let me hear from you if you get the chance.

Steve Fluck bear1857@comcast.net

RCat said...

'Shufflin' stock through the door/ no time to stop here comes some mor-r-r-r-re!' - I still have a copy of that on tape..believe it or not..my closest brush with rock stardom! (chuckle) - Jeez Steve...what a fluke (no pun intended), after all these years..look for email shortly!! - RCat the Handy City Drone