Sunday, October 24, 2010

October Thoughts




















It is October
and the winds
now blow cool...
in the shadows the
coolness hugs you...
the blood finds it
harder to warm
your veins...
retreating to your core...
saving its heat
for survival...
the first shiver
of approaching Winter
works its way down
my arms...
down my spine...

step into the light...
stand beneath the sun...
feeling the waves
of old Sol
pour down over you...
flowing like warm honey...
covering you
in a blanket of calm...
leaving you sleepy
and smiling...

each year I wait
for the last days
of sweltering Summer
to pass into Fall...
the first cool days
to reinvigorate
my spirits...
to prepare me
for holidays
and families...

today is that day...
the 59th time
I've felt the
sun on my face...
letting the cold
sinking from the north
slip like tentacles
around the contours
of my form...

the air is crisp...
a promise of renewal
caressing me...
as it did at
8 years,
12 years,
and 21...
over and over...
the unseen clock...
ticking away the minutes...
natures calendar
with its pages flipping
through months and years...

yet standing
in this field
once again...
I forget the world...
I forget the people...
I forget myself
and float above it all...
secure in this moment...
thinking how could
the moment be
any better...
how could this life,
in this place,
be anymore true...


R. C. Arquette
10/18/2009

No comments: