Monday, February 11, 2008

Head Games

















The head in the refrigerator surprised me
As the door closed it called my name
I'd noticed the milk was out of place,
The liverwurst gone without a trace,
But I thought I was the one to blame...

I managed to grumble back at the head
While stared at it's pale green eyes
For a bodiless head it seemed okay,
I couldn't detect any type of decay,
Nor did I see any worms or flys...

By the light of the bare bulb inside
It first smiled, then spoke again,
"Its quite chilly in hear I'm afraid,
almost as cold as an open grave...
And most of the time dark as sin!"

"Yes, it keeps my groceries fresh,
so what-the-hell else is new?"
The head's teeth were chattering,
Which wasn't in the least flattering...
"Then what d'ya want me to do?"

The chilled head shook the Jello
And looked puzzled by the bread,
"Well, boots and socks will never do,
And jackets and gloves are useless too."
All I wanted was to go to bed...

I got a hot water bottle and wool blanket,
Wrapped him up and tucked him away;
Sticking him between the beans and jam,
Beside the KFC and the sugar cured ham...
I slammed the door and staggered away

I at last fell into bed in my quiet room,
Pulling the covers up under my chin...
And while drifting into dreamy visions...
A muffled voice came from the kitchen,
Saying warmly, "Hey, thanks again."

No comments: